Monday, May 21, 2007

Great to Be Home

We had a fabulous time in New Orleans, but it's good to be home! The flights were fine, weather was perfect and we walked until our feet hurt. Doug's co-workers are a lot of fun (much more than us.. we were in before midnight each night.) Judy, who's in charge of arranging everything for the meeting did an amazing job (as usual). The last meeting was on the Riverwalk in San Antonio. It was fun as well, but I was pregnant with Lainey.

One of the highlights (can't say the best, but only because I don't want to hurt Doug's feelings! ) was meeting up with Christina to knit at Cafe du Monde. She emailed me about some yarn that I had for sale on Destash. When she sent me her address I realized that SHE LIVES IN NEW ORLEANS! I emailed her and asked if she'd be interested in meeting up and I could hand deliver the yarn. Luckily, she didn't think I was (too) weird... We met up and had cafe au lait and beignets while we both worked on our STR socks. I'm so jealous... she's in the Rockin' Sock Club. I just didn't get into socks in time to sign up before it was closed for the year. Her socks are beautiful and I love the yarn and pattern... Maybe next year! After we knit for a while we walked over to Quarterstitch, the LYS in the French Quarter. It's a tiny store, but they have some beautiful yarn. I ended up with some Koigu (above) to make socks for me (browns/pinks & solid pink) and Doug (blues/solid blue). The top skein is some Mama E's C*Eye*Ber Fiber Sock yarn in Indian Corn colorway. (It didn't come from New Orleans, but I hadn't shown it yet.) Christina got a skein of recycled sari yarn. It's beautiful stuff! As we were leaving the store we saw Jerry Springer. We stood outside the store debating.. him, not him. We were pretty sure it was him, but our suspicions were confirmed when some guys working next door started yelling "Jerry". He waved just a bit and another woman snapped a picture as she walked by. Unfortunately, neither of us had cameras with us. You should definitely check out Christina's blog! She was planning to go Saturday night to get a tattoo and there are pictures on her blog. It's amazing! I didn't get as much knitting done as I thought I would, but I did make it to the gusset on the first Jaywalker.
We found cute t-shirts for the kids. Hayden's is a pirate shirt (cartoonish skull and two pirate ships - pillage. plunder. pillage. plunder). Lainey's is a cartoon crayfish and says "Who's your crawdaddy?" And, of course, we brought home pralines (for us and the grandparents).

We also stopped for a couple of hours in KC after we got back to visit Greg and Sara. They're due in July and she's just so darn cute! We don't get to see them often, but they are always fun. Sounds like they (or at least Greg - just depends on how she's feeling) will be coming to the CD release party on June 2 for Doug's band, Celandine. I think it's going to be a great time!

Jenn

3 comments:

Redheadskydiver said...

Just stopping by to say hi and it was nice to meet you.

Hattie said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun! That top skein of yarn is gorgeous too.

Anonymous said...

I'm originally from Louisiana and love New Orleans, one of my favorite cities. Glad that you had a good time, going to Cafe Du Monde is the best place to go. Ohh, I'm missing my beignets. Lovely yarn purchases too.

Your Sockapalooza Pal

p.s. I'm closing in on a pattern for you.