Saturday, March 24, 2007

KAL and DAL

I'm so fickle when it comes to my knitting! I've discussed quite a few "nexts", but now I really know what is coming up... I joined the Sexy Knitters KAL to knit Sahara. We've got a weekend trip to New Orleans coming up in May and I've been thinking this might be a cute sweater for the trip. I read about the KAL on M's Musings and immediately decided to go for it. Now, I'm no where NEAR built like the model, but with either a camisole or changing the neckline a bit so it's not quite so low I think it will work out well. I don't have cause for many evening clothes, but there will be two evening functions while we're on our trip. I've got some Frog Tree pima/silk blend yarn in a very pretty deep purple that I think will work well. The yarn that they call for (Tilli Thomas) is beautiful, but too expensive for my wallet. I like the beaded trim on the pattern, but I'd get more wear from it if I don't have beaded trim. I guess I'll just wait until the pattern arrives and see if the pattern for the edging is interesting enough without beads. I can't tell if it's just garter or something else. If it does need the sparkle maybe I can find some beads to add to the yarn I'm planning to use.

I got some more sock yarn off Ebay yesterday. Two skeins of Lorna's Laces and two more skeins of Cherry Tree Hill. Red... and rose/burnt orange. I'm waiting for some #1 40" circulars to come in the LYS so I can try my hand at knitting two socks on circulars.


I have also signed up for the Stash DAL (Diet A Long). Beginning April 1 my stash diet begins. My rules are:

1. My Yarn Diet A Long will start April 1, 2007 and run through December 31, 2007 -- a period of nine months.

2. I will not buy any yarn during that period, with the following exceptions:
2.a. Sock yarn does not count. (I'm not exactly sure why, but I'll stick with that. I can't buy any sock yarn though until at least 2 pairs of socks are finished.)
2.b. If someone asks for a specific knitted gift that I really and truly do not have the yarn for, we may buy yarn to knit that gift.
2.c. If I am knitting something and run out of yarn, I may purchase enough to complete the project.
2.d. I am allowed to "fall off the wagon" during my trip to New Orleans IF I am good until that trip AND I find yarn that I've never knit with or cannot obtain at my LYS.

3. I am allowed to receive gifts of yarn or spend money received as a gift on yarn.

4. Trading stash is allowed.


5. Patterns, needles, books and other items needed to assist me in using up stash are okay.

Tonight I'm going to settle in after the kids are in bed, watch a movie with hubby and work on the Wine and Roses mitt. My goal is to get it finished before bed tomorrow... we'll see if the little ones let me accomplish that. Next week is spring break here and Doug is leaving town Thursday evening. I'm hoping that means lots of knitting after the kids are in bed! We're also planning a little jaunt to St. Louis on Saturday. I'm hoping to drop by the zoo, visit some friends and make a stop at Trader Joe's.



Jenn

No comments: